About Me

My photo
So glad you have found us. We are a nomadic family of 9 travelling Australia with our six daughters, and our one son and forever missing our precious daughter Serenity who went to be with Jesus at 13 hours old on 12 March 2011. Her short life has changed our lives forever! As we travel we perform at shows, festivals and fundraisers with our dogs, help out on farms and also sell handmade woodcraft, dog collars, leads and capes. We are also doTERRA wellness advocates. Follow our joys and trials here.

Monday, 28 March 2016

The Saga of the Broken Leg


Since we have been working here on the farm, Freya has learned to round up the cows and bring them in for milking.  She is excellent at her job, and very enthusiastic.


On Friday 11 March when we were doing the afternoon round up a cow turned round and tried to head back where she’d come from.  Freya went in to stop her and the cow carried on going and poor Freya got tangled up in her back legs!  Freya yelped once then stood there holding one leg up and waited for me to get off the motorbike and come to her.  We scooped her up and finished bringing in the cows (with Sparkie) while Freya took a ride on the motorbike.

We took her to the vet who with a quick examination in which he almost lost his nose, told us that is was probably broken (which we thought anyway).

They took her off for an x-ray (with a muzzle on now).  Returning shortly they confirmed that both bones in her front leg were broken.




After a 3 day long weekend stay at the vets Freya was operated on late Tuesday Morning.  We were very worried about her and missed her tremendously.  They decided that the best outcome for Freya was to put a plate in her leg – also the most expensive option!



On Thursday, almost a week after the accident we got to bring her home!  She was so happy to see us that the vet was worried all her uncontrollable-bouncing-with-excitement would damage all the hard work she’d done in repairing the leg!


Once home she settled into her crate with a new very comfy mattress as she now has to spend the next 12 weeks in here or on short, controlled leash walks.



We don’t like to ask for money, but we’d appreciate any help towards the vet bill which is already in excess of $2000 and she still needs more x-rays to check in the healing process.


If you’d like to help we have set up a Go Fund Me campaign at


Tuesday 29th we head back to the vet for her first post op visit.  Hopefully it will be all good news and we’ll be able to start 15 minute walks twice a day.  For the last two weeks it’s just been short walks out to the toilet – boring!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment .. your feedback is important to us.